McKinsey Problem Solving Game (Solve)
McKinsey Solve is a digital gamified assessment designed to evaluate candidates’ abilities holistically. The online game involves two parts, and candidates are asked to play one game in each part. In part I, candidates play either Ecosystem Creation (Coral Reef) or Ecosystem Creation (Mountain Ridge); in part II, candidates play Plant Defense, Migration Management, Red Rock Study, Disaster Management, or Disease Management. We lay out exactly how Solve works, with publicly-available and remastered in-game visuals, a host of tips to crack the games, and provide you with the best guide available on how to prepare.
The McKinsey Online Assessment i.e., Problem Solving Game, Imbellus or Solve, is intended to assess a candidate based on:
- Systemic thinking - Being aware of cause-and-effect relationships and how they will influence potential consequences.
- Situational awareness - Being mindful of current conditions weighing on a situation and deducing likely outcomes.
- Decision making - Being able to determine the best course of action given a variety of options and variables.
- Metacognition - The ability to capture and process large amounts of information.
- Critical thinking - Critical thinking requires a questioning mindset and involves weighing information from a variety of sources and coming to logical conclusions.